[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Oct 5 10:29:47 PDT 2016

On 10/5/2016 1:03 PM, Aurélie Demonchaux wrote:
> So I would assume that this structure is also valid for any similar
> verb that can have 2 objects, like < jatlh > (tell, say)
>

> Thus, taking the example “I told you no” (“you” being singular here):
>

> Correct/classical grammar:
>
> SoHvaD < ghobe’ > vIjatlhta’
>
> Here the verb prefix is vI (I--it), agreeing with the direct object <
> ghobe’ >.
>

> Prefix trick:
>
> < ghobe’ > qajatlhta’
>
> with the prefix agreeing with the indirect object “you”.

"Verbs of speech" are a special case. TKD section 6.2.5 tells us that
when using two sentences consisting of a phrase with a verb of speech
and a phrase the speaker is saying, the two sentences are treated as
completely separate and simply put next to each other, in either order.
Thus, /what/ you say is not the object of the verb of speech.

*SoHvaD jIjatlhta' /ghobe'
ghobe'/ SoHvaD jIjatlhta'
*/I said to you, "No."/

Notice that the verb of speech has no object.

You /can/ use the prefix trick with verbs of speech, even if they have
no object:

*qajatlhta' /ghobe'
ghobe'/ qajatlhta'
*/I said to you, "No."/