[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Mon Oct 3 16:10:59 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Aurélie Demonchaux
<demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1/ Regarding “Quvar vIponglu’”:
>>
>> That works fine, though some people consider it extremely informal usage.
>
> ok thanks for confirming this! Just to check, is there a canon reference on
> this being informal, stating that the prefix trick and / or <-lu’> suffix
> make the sentence informal, or is it more an opinion / deduction that some
> Klingon linguists have formed based on their knowledge of the language?

There is nothing officially published that labels it as informal. It's
mostly a matter of a long-established preference in this discussion
forum for strict grammatical forms when teaching Klingon. Some of us
think of the "prefix trick" as somehow lazy. It's not described in The
Klingon Dictionary, and it seems in real life to have evolved as a
too-close translation of certain English phrasings.

It's perfectly valid grammar, and those who consider themselves fluent
(or nearly so) in Klingon won't have a problem understanding it. I
probably went too far using the word "extremely", and for that I
apologize.

-- ghunchu'wI'