[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 01:40:47 PDT 2016

Am 02.10.2016 um 23:33 schrieb SuStel:
>> What is wrong with it? {vIponglu'} does specify a first person object.
>
> You're right; I was forgetting it had *-lu'* on it.

Hm... wait a second. First I was going to object, saying that vI- has a
third person object. But I looked closer and remembered that {-lu'}
reverses that. So it IS true that the /word/ has a first person object,
but the prefix itself does NOT.

If this form is correct - and I think we all agree, because it sounds
okay - then I think this may be a new amendment to the existing "rule".
AS far as I remember, Okrand has only talked about using "pronominal
prefix indicating a first- or second-person object", not any verb .

Many people explain that {vI-[...]-lu'} is similar to {mu-[...]-vay'}
then it really does make sense to say

{taj vInoblu'}

I know for some this may be nitpicking, but I think it's worth to be
mentioned, and I'll add it to the Klingon wiki.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh