[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qop

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 31 12:00:55 PDT 2016

I’ve always thought {‘avwI’} “guard” is the best currently available word for a police officer in general.  (No doubt in a militarized society like Kronos there are numerous specialized security services of which we know next to nothing.)  Okrand certainly uses {‘avwI’} in a general sense, especially here:

Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq.
tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom.
Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos.
They meet a Klingon guard. (PK)

Oddly we only have one example of the verb {‘av} “guard” AFAIK:

molor chalqach 'avlu'bogh pIrmuS lupawta'
they reach the base of Molor's guarded tower (PB)

Other examples of {‘avwI’}:

mughoS 'avwI' 'ar
How many guards are coming? CK

'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej
When an escaped prisoner looks for a guard, he always finds one. TKW

pawpu' 'avwI' paghDIch
the zeroth guard has arrived KGT
["implying that no guard has arrived even though one (and probably more than one) is expected." (KGT 177)]

'avwI' Hay' yaS
The officer duels the guard. KGT

jav luHpu' 'avwI'
The guard has caused a prisoner to confess.
(slang; lit. "The guard has yanked a six") KGT

And then there are those two jokes in Power Klingon:

Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq.
tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom.
lutlhob «naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?»
jang 'avwI' «lIchopbe'chugh ghewmey!»
Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos.
They meet a Klingon guard.
They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?"
The guard answers, "If the bugs do not bite you!" (PK)

'avwI'vaD jatlh qama' «jIghung»
jang 'avwI' «jIghung je»
jatlh qama' «jI'oj»
jang 'avwI' «jI'oj je»
jatlh qama' «jIDoy'qu'»
jatlh 'avwI' «jIDoy'be'!»
A prisoner says to the guard, "I am hungry."
The guard replies, "I am also hungry."
The prisoner says, "I am thirsty."
The guard replies, "I am also thirsty."
The prisoner says, "I am very tired."
The guard says, "I am not tired!"  (PK)

After all, what is it that police do if not guard the citizenry - or guard the rulers from the citizenry?  See the Irish *garda* "guardian, police officer", the Spanish Guardia Civil, etc.

--
Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org]
On Behalf Of André Müller

I usually used {Hung yaS} 'security officer' to refer to the police, but maybe {qopwI'} 'arrester' is an idea, too.

mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>>:
Numerous times I wondered how to say "police" in klingon. The best
solution I could think of was {qopmeH 'obe'}.