[tlhIngan Hol] The concept of "one/each/every time"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 31 06:50:05 PDT 2016

{Hochlogh} was introduced in KGT.  AFAIK there is only one actual example sentence:

(KGT 178):  Similarly, when {-logh} is attached to {Hoch} (all), the resulting word, {Hochlogh} (all times), is used in the same way as {reH} (always), as in {Hochlogh no' yIquvmoH} (“All times honor your ancestors”...); compare {reH no' yIquvmoH} ({Always honor your ancestors”).

It is similar to another emphatic form {paghlogh} “zero times:

(KGT 178):  "When {-logh} is attached to {pagh} (zero), the resulting form, {paghlogh} (zero times) is used as an emphatic alternate for {not} (never), as in {paghlogh jegh tlhIngan SuvwI'} (“a Klingon warrior surrenders zero times”)... compare {not jegh tlhIngan SuvwI'} (“a Klingon warrior never surrenders”).

BTW both of these are considered {mu’mey ru’} “made-up (lit. “temporary”) words”:

KGT 176:  Sometimes words or phrases are coined for a specific occasion, intentionally violating grammatical rules in order to have an impact. Usually these are never heard again, though some gain currency and might as well be classified as slang. Klingon grammarians call such forms {mu'mey ru'} ("temporary words"). Sometimes, {mu'mey ru'} fill a void--that is, give voice to an idea for which there is no standard (or even slang) expression; sometimes, like slang, they are just more emphatic ways of expressing an idea. A common way to create these constructions is to bend the grammatical rules somewhat, violating the norm in a way that is so obvious that there is no question that it is being done intentionally. To do this is expressed in Klingon as {pabHa'} ("misfollow [the rules], follow [the rules] wrongly").

Do either of these appear in the paq’batlh?

--
Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org]
On Behalf Of mayqel qunenoS

lieven:
> have you considered {Hochlogh}? it means
> something like "always", but literally says
> "each time" or "all times"

qunnoH:
And now, I would like to ask voragh on any canon examples, which utilize the {Hochlogh}.