[tlhIngan Hol] "Any language, means any language"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 25 11:07:00 PDT 2016

I can think of a couple of ways:

  Hoch Hol ‘oH Hoch Hol’e’.
  “Every language is every language.”

  Hoch Hol ‘oS Hoch Hol.
  “Every language represents every language.”

Note the phrase {Hoch Holmey mughwI’} “universal translator”:

   Hoch Holmey mughwI' vIwIv 'e' DapIH'a'
   Did you expect me to choose the Universal Translator? (NASM interview)

BTW we’ve seen {‘oS} “represent” used like this before (but never translated literally):

  toDuj 'oS rol
  A beard is a symbol of courage. TKW

 qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
  The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his
 family's house. S20

  yay 'oS bey
  This yell is victorious in nature... S31

--
Voragh

On Behalf Of Christa Hansberry

My friend who writes short stories has a character in one of her stories who has the super-power (they all have super-powers!) of being able to speak and understand any language in the universe. So in demonstration of this ability he says a line in German, and one in Welsh, followed by the declaration "vay' Hol qej vay' Hol!" which baffled me ("anyone's language is grouchy anyone's language"??), so I scrolled down to the footnote to see what she meant, and it said "any language, means any language."

So I tried to figure out what the correct way to say that would be, but I can't figure it out, and I can't correct her Klingon if I don't have a better solution myself. How would you translate this sentence?