[tlhIngan Hol] jeS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 19 07:47:18 PDT 2016

Lieven wrote:
> in preparation of his trip to the qepHom, Maltz has slipped some
> interesting details about the use of the verb {jeS}:

> The verb {jeS} ("participate") does not take an object. It generally is
> in a phrase following a phrase saying what the subject of {jeS} is
> participating in.  All of the following can be translated as "I
> participate in the qepHom," though the literal meaning of each is
> distinct:
>
> qaStaHvIS qepHom jIjeS ["While the qepHom is happening, I
> participate"]
> qaS qepHom ’ej jIjeS  ["The qepHom is happening, and I participate"]
> qaS qepHom vaj jIjeS  ["The qepHom is happening, so I participate"]
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------[]

We can add these to the two previous examples, both from the "Star Trek: The Experience" (STX) communique:

laS veghaS HIltonDaq «Hov leng: yIjeSchu'» qaSchoHmo',
  bIlopqu'meH HIlton yIghoS
Come celebrate the grand opening of "Star Trek: The
  Experience" at the Las Vegas Hilton. STX

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
Be the first to journey to the 24th century. STX

BTW, nice examples of the difference between {qaS X} and {qaStaHvIS X}.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'