[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Oct 7 06:43:39 PDT 2016

On 10/7/2016 9:31 AM, Aurélie Demonchaux wrote:
> *@mIp'av, SuStel*
>
>     I interpreted it as direct address: Hoch, Savan everyone, I salute
>     you.
>
> Regarding < Hoch Savan >, I actually meant it as “I salute you all”.
> Maybe I should have written < Hoch tlhIH Savan > instead?

As mIp'av indicated, this is a bit of a controversial point. I'm not
entirely certain that *Hoch tlhIH* means /all of you,/ and even if it
does, whether you can then elide the *tlhIH* and still maintain the
genitive *Hoch* construction. For a noun-noun construction, you kind of
need both nouns, or so it seems to me.

I think the impulse to try to say "you all" in Klingon comes from the
lack in some languages, like English, of a formal second-person plural.
I grant that *Savan* could mean /I salute some of you, but not
necessarily all of you,/ but when you stick it at the top of a message
directed at a group, it's pretty much a given that you're referring to
everyone who receives the message. *tlhIH Savan,* or just *Savan,* would
be perfectly acceptable, and not controversial.