[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

Aurélie Demonchaux demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:36:09 PDT 2016

Thanks all for your replies!

@ghunchu'wI'

1/ Regarding “Quvar vIponglu’”:

> That works fine, though some people consider it extremely informal usage.

ok thanks for confirming this! Just to check, is there a canon reference on
this being informal, stating that the prefix trick and / or <-lu’> suffix
make the sentence informal, or is it more an opinion / deduction that some
Klingon linguists have formed based on their knowledge of the language?

> > Thus, in Klingon, can we use a similar structure?
> > < Quvar jIpong’egh > -- I call myself Quvar
> It is understandable, but I won't call it grammatically correct, and I
> would avoid it.

Ok I understand, thanks a lot! Plus mayqel also mentioned it could be
misunderstood as "only I call myself Quvar" so it does make sense to avoid
the phrasing.

I thought about this further, and I figure that actually the general
guideline (on reflexive vs non-reflexive verbs) is to just follow English
usage (for the equivalent verbs), unless stated otherwise in canon
materials.

So then if someone gives an order to 1 other person to sit in Klingon, it
will be < yIba’ > but not < yIba’egh >, because in English you would
normally say “sit down” but not “sit yourself down” (although the 2nd
phrasing does actually exist, it seems to be nonstandard).

Thanks again :)