[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sun Oct 2 02:23:07 PDT 2016

Am 01.10.2016 um 18:34 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> Also keep in mind, that the exact translation of {Quvar vIponglu'},
> isn't "I'm called Quvar". It is rather "someone calls me Quvar". Klingon
> doesn't have a passive voice..

That's true, but since there no approriate English way to translate this
(I always find the "someone indefinite..." very awkward in english) The
passive voice is the best way to do it. I don't know who mentioned it,
but the canon example also uses that passive voice:

{roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH}
It is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld."

(Skybox card 27)

Lieven jIH, 'ach rut jIHvaD Quvar ponglu' net Sov :-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh