[tlhIngan Hol] [English] Using "pong" as a verb to say "my name is..." ?

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 01:34:23 PDT 2016

jIH:
> if I read the {Quvar vIponglu'}, I would
> understand that "someone calls me Quvar"
ghItlhta' ghunchu'wI':
> You apparently still think {-lu'} is a replacement for using {vay'}.
taHta' ghunchu'wI':
> The exact translation of {vIponglu'} is closer to "someone or
> something unspecified names me". What you proposed is instead an exact
> translation of {...mupong vay'}

I remember clearly the distinction between {-lu'} and {vay'}, however
I chose to give the translation by the use of the word "someone",
because that is the word that the tkd uses.

Aurélie Demonchaux:
> can we also say: Quvar vIponglu’ - “I am called Quvar”?
ghunchu'wI':
> That works fine, though some people consider it extremely informal
> usage.

I disagree. Even with the vaguest of meanings the {-lu'} is able to
provide, then again this talks of an unspecified someONE. The question
however asks for "how does EVERYONE call me".

If I heard the {Quvar vIponglu’}, I would be left to wonder whether
the speaker refers to an unspecified someone and that's that, or
whether he implies that *I* can actually be included in the context of
that someone too. Granted, if someone asks "what's your name" and you
reply "someone unspecified calls me bugs bunny", then obviously you're
telling him "call me bugs bunny too".

However, to talk about "what is being implied and understood at the
actual moment of the conversation" is one thing; and to talk about
"the exact and unambiguous meaning of a sentence" is another.

So, because of this reason, I believe that the canon way of replying
by saying "jIHvaD Quvar lupong", is by far the way to go. Now, yes,
perhaps someone will say that even now, this talks of a group of
"they"; and perhaps "there is another a group which calls me
differently". But I believe this is too much of a nitpicking..

I can't actually believe I'm writting this, but I finally found a
piece of canon which makes me happy, and I wouldn't change for
anything even if I could !

voragh will be happy ! hehehe !

qunnoq