[tlhIngan Hol] The latlh

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 28 08:29:24 PST 2016

The basic problem here is that {latlh} is a noun in Klingon, but can be
translated in several ways, depending on what you mean. This still is
not visible in English, but in German for instance, capitalization makes
clear:

Noun: (as in "where are the others?")
{latlh}
"the other"
der Andere

vs

Indefinite pronoun, meaning "a different thing"
{latlh loD}
"the other man" (so "not this man")
der andere Mann

And then we even have the meaning of "more": "I'd like another beer".

I'm sure I may be mixing some semantical/linguistics terms here, but I
hope that my message came trough: different ideas combined in ony
Klingon word, but they seem all to work the way we guess they do.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh