[tlhIngan Hol] magic and magicians

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sun Nov 27 04:52:53 PST 2016

Am 25.11.2016 um 17:00 schrieb kechpaja:
> Can I infer from this that you would also use {lIl} to refer to dressing
> as someone or something for e.g. Halloween, i.e. {targh vIlIl} "I'm
> going as a targ"? Or would you need to say something like {targh jIH 'e'
> vIghet}? What about an actor in a play?
>
> Also, where is the boundary between {lIl} and {Da}?

Ther's the canon example {nepwI' DaDa} (or so) "you are behaving like a
liar" - that is close to an insult, as it actually says "you are lying!"
The verb Da does not include intendedly faking a person {tlhIngan DaDa}
= Maybe you haven't noticed yet, but today you are behaving like a klingon.

When {lIl}ing, one is pretending or imitating a liar. I think you could
also use that for children who play mom and dad;

The verb {ghet} - I think - is really only used for stage actors, or at
leastpeople who really "play" a role stying "in character".

Actually, ghet is closer to lIl than Da is.

The interesting idea is that lIl can not only be used with people. I'm
still thinking about which device or thing can imitate a different
thing. Maybe props at a movie set? I understand {pu'HIch lIlwI'} as a
phaser prop.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh