[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "must"

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Wed Nov 16 12:44:26 PST 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 10:05 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> Now, if someone wants to pull up a few instances of *-nIS* being used
> where an agency is imposing an action and consequences of failure on the
> subject, and not just instances where the English translation uses *must,*
> I'll be happy to revise my opinion.

I thought of one such example immediately, but I didn't respond because I
expected it to have been in the list presented by André. Now that I've had
time to read the rest of the thread, I see he didn't include it.

>From Conversational Klingon: {vagh rep bImejnIS} "Check­out time is 5 am."

That certainly counts as an imposed requirement, even if a penalty for
noncompliance is not explicitly stated.

There's also {lupwI' DalIghnIS} "You must ride the jitney." I think it too
is a relevant example, but I can accept someone disagreeing with that
assessment..

-- ghunchu'wI'