[tlhIngan Hol] Past events {-pu'} and {-DI'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 16 04:45:38 PST 2016

On 11/16/2016 5:34 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> If I want to write "yesterday as soon as we ate" then I would probably
> say {wa'Hu' maSoppu'DI'}
>
> If I want to write "four days ago as soon as I saw you" then I would
> probably write {loS Hu' qaleghpu'DI'}
>
> If I want to write "four months ago as soon as I hit you" then I would
> probably say {loS wen qaqIppu'DI'}
>
> If the above sentences are correct, then this means that when we talk
> about a past event which is described by the {-DI'}, then always the
> {-pu'} is appropriate.
>
> Or, to express the same question differently "is there a way for a
> past event, which is described by the {-DI'} not to be completed, thus
> not being able to take the {-pu'} ?"

Your examples are all about doing something /when/ an event is
/completed./*maSoppu'DI'* means /as soon as we finished eating,/ but not
/as soon as we are engaged in eating/ (*maSopDI'*). *qaleghpu'DI'* means
/as soon as I finished seeing you,/ that is, as soon as our meeting is
over. If you mean /as soon as I see you,/ once our meeting has begun,
use *qaleghDI'.* *qaqIppu'DI'* means /as soon as I have hit you (and the
action is over)./ One could imagine the hitting having started, and then
you'll call the police as it continues: *qaqIpDI'.*

Notice that none of these has anything to do with the time stamp. As
always, Klingon aspect has nothing to do with the tense of a sentence.
There is no such rule about expressing "as soon as a past event."