[tlhIngan Hol] Dop Hurgh lo'laHghach

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 23:47:51 PST 2016

mIp'av:
> Dochmey mI' sounds like a direct translation of "number of things." Perhaps Klingons use such a phrase, perhaps not.

I used the {Dochmey mI'} in order to say "a number of things", because
I read somewhere at the klingon wiki, that we can use the {mI'} this
way. In fact here is the direct copy-paste from my notes:

----- quote start -----
mI' number (of), quantity tlhInganpu' Hem mI' nIb an equal number of
proud Klingons.
----- quote end -----

Unfortunately I didn't specify in my notes the exact source of this example.

mIp'av:
> mI' is presumably singular, in which case you'd use luyajHa' with the plural 3rd person subject

You're right. I was mistaken.

mIp'av:
> {'op Dochmey} conveys this idea without inventing a phrase.

I like the {'op Dochmey}. I like it a lot ! and because of this reason
I'll add it in my notes, as an alternate way to say "a number of
things".

mIp'av:
> You don't need to translate literally the words

I'm having trouble freeing my mind from the greek/english "prototype"
passage; unfortunately I have a long way ahead, before I manage to
actually "think" in klingon.

mIp'av:
> You also switch from using -lu' to definite 3rd person singular.

You're right. In fact, I remember some time ago, Qov pointing this out
too. It seems that -for whatever reason- I keep doing this
unconsciously. I'll try to keep this in mind next time.

Anyway, thank you very much for your suggestions mIp'av !

qunnoH jan puqloD