[tlhIngan Hol] A thought on the irrealis construction

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 01:21:17 PST 2016

ja' mIp'av:
> I have the very strong impression that, unlike humans, Klingons don't
> give a damn about stuff that doesn't happen.

Well, maybe Worf is not the best example-Klingon to show, but the first
time I struggled with irrealis was when watching Star Trek First contact
(1996).

Worf said to Picard:
"I you were any other man, I would kill you where you stand".

I always thought it's not right to say:
{latlh loD SoHchugh, vaj DaH qaHoH}
AS it does not convey the idea correctly.

Actually, I'm pretty happy to be able to say now {latlh loD SoH net
jalchugh, vaj qaHoH.}, but I would have preferred it be done with a
different kind of suffix. But Okrand told us this weekend, that
according to Maltz, we should have received nearly all of the existing
suffixes - but there may be more, perhabs.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh