[tlhIngan Hol] Anyone wan to help design a Klingon ruler?

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:49:26 PDT 2016

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> wrote:
> Depends on the end-user, I suppose, but I personally would advise against
it; rulers are rulers and weapons are weapons.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Alan Anderson <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:
> There is no essential difference between a tool and a weapon. reH nuHmey
tu'lu'.

I can stab someone with a pencil, and that would make it a weapon, but
that's not the function we normally use it for.
So, while a ruler could also be used as a weapon, I wouldn't spend time
designing it to double as one.
I would honestly just make a standard wood/metal/plastic rectangular ruler,
but with 'uj instead of inches.

The ruler needs to be able to
1) measure the distance between two points with a standard unit of measure.
2) aid in the drawing of straight lines.

While one could spend time trying to make it "more Klingon", I really think
the goal needs to be a functional ruler/straight edge.

Now, if someone is familiar with a functional ruler that isn't a rectangle,
that might be worth looking into.

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.
Freelance Translator