[tlhIngan Hol] The latlh

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 03:41:06 PST 2016

There is something I can't understand with regards to the {latlh}.

first, lets read these canon examples:

{reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS}
the fire is always hotter on someone else's face

{latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang}
pour the cold bloodwine into another glass

I want to ask:

1. the {latlh qabDaq} and the {latlh HIvje'Daq} mean ONLY "the face of
another" and "the glass of another" respectively, or do/can they mean
as well "an additional face" and "an additional glass" ?

In case you wonder why I'm asking..

Suppose I want to say "for us there is an additional enemy", so I
write {maHvaD latlh jagh tu'lu'}. Does this klingon sentence mean
indeed "for us there is an additional enemy", or does it actually mean
"for us there is an enemy of another", which doesn't make sense ?

qunnoH jan puqloD