[tlhIngan Hol] Thoughts on {vaj}

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 01:17:03 PST 2016

At another thread the {vaj} was discussed, and in particular its nature as
an adverb. an adverb which describes the verb as an  effect/result of
another (previous) action/situation.

example:
{pa' 'el 'avwI' vaj jISuvrupchoH}
the guard entered the room, so I became ready to fight.

so far so good..

I realized however that everything we can describe by the {vaj} can be
described by the {-mo'}.

{pa' 'elmo' 'avwI', jISuvrupchoH}
because the guard entered the room, I became ready to fight.

again here we have the "my becoming ready to fight" being the result of the
guard entering the room.

and perhaps one could go further to say that the meaning conveyed by the
{vaj} is conveyed through various other means:

{pa' 'elDI' 'avwI', jISuvrupchoH}
{pa' 'el 'avwI', ghIq jISuvrupchoH}
{pa' 'el 'avwI', ngugh jISuvrupchoH}

the only difference between the {vaj}/{mo'} method, and the last three is
perhaps that the {vaj}/{mo'} are more direct, while the rest only
imply/indirectly mean that the guard's entrance to the room was the reason
of my "becoming ready to fight".

so, that's my understanding of {vaj}. are my conclusions/observations
correct ?

qunnoH jan puqloD
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'