[tlhIngan Hol] pIqaD in Unicode--again

Mark Shoulson mark at kli.org
Mon Nov 7 17:16:11 PST 2016

Thought I would let people here know, since I have sort of acted on my
own on this.  I've submitted another paper to the Unicode Consortium
asking to encode pIqaD finally:
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2016/16329-piqad-returns.pdf  They always
said it wasn't encoded because people weren't using it: I disprove that
claim in the document.  The discussion on the mailing list there is
starting to heat up again; this time they're saying that there are
problems with Paramount's copyright and all, but that's also not
relevant, and even if it is, they should decide whether or not to encode
and *then* we'll worry about difficulties carrying that out.

Anyway, just informing folks.  I've been talking to various UTC members,
and the official UTC meeting is this week or next week or something, so
it will be brought up then and they'll probably have at least some sort
of response after that.  I'm not going to let them off the hook without
at least some *sensible* answer and a path forward (and an explanation
as to why the Tolkien alphabets, which apparently may also have
copyright issues, are on the Roadmap, even if they aren't encoded, while
pIqaD is not only not on the roadmap, but given as an example on the
"Not on the Roadmap" page as something not worthy of being there.)  Just
FYI.

~mark