[tlhIngan Hol] new words qepHom 2016 (share)

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 02:07:37 PST 2016

The Facebook-Translation team will be happy with this:

---begin quote---
There are two words for "share."

When A shares something (C) with B, the verb to use is {bon} ("share
with") and the construction is B-vaD C {bon} A (with appropriate verb
prefixes depending on what A and C are). In this case, C belongs to or
is controlled by A and A chooses to share it with B.

When A and B share something with each other (share some {gagh}, say),
the verb to use is {lIn} ("share") and the construction is
{C lulIn A B je} (or {C lIn A B je} if C is plural, and, again, with
appropriate verb prefixes). In this case, the speaker is noncommittal
about whether A or B is the one who decided to do the sharing with the
other.

There is an idiomatic expression:
{lInchuq} "share each other."

This is not a euphemism, but Maltz admitted it's a little risqué.
{lInchuq} ("they share each other") means that they (whoever is being
talked about) have a physical relationship of some sort. The phrase is
general — it doesn't imply anything about exactly what they do
physically. It also doesn't necessarily mean that they are doing
something right now (at the time of speaking).

The relationship could be relatively light (a little nibbling) or
heavier (really biting) or beyond (Maltz thought that Terrans might find
that part a bit risqué).

As with other verbs with {-chuq}, the prefix has to indicate a plural
subject and no object:

   {malInchuq}
   {SulInchuq}

---end quote---

By the way, Okrand was suprised when I pointed at him that {bon} is
{nob} ("give") backwards. It was definitely not intentional.

(but I think it's agood way to memorize.)

[note: Klingon words were written in bold face. I've added brackets for
format-free emails]

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh