[tlhIngan Hol] new words qepHom 2016 (art)

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 02:07:25 PST 2016

At this year's qepHom, we received lots of new words. Some of them were
wishes by qepHom attendees and others. Others were used in Andrew
Miller's Art presentation in a Museum of Pittsburgh, which happened on
the same weekend. Marc Okrand gave me the list in english alphabetical
order, so for reading convenience I re-arranged them in a somehow
logical order.

This list talks about art

---begin quote---
"Klingon for the Galactic Traveler" (p. 79) says there is no single word
for "art" or "artwork." This refers to visual art (painting, sculpture,
etc.). {meHghem} ("arts, the arts, culture") is a bigger, more
comprehensive term covering "the arts" or "art" as opposed to "science."
So it includes music, theater, dance, etc. as well as visual art. It's
"culture" in this sense.

Similarly, {vIqraq} ("artifact, work of art") is more general than a
visual piece of art. It covers that, but also an artifact (not in the
archaeological sense), handicraft, gizmo, gadget, contraption, machine,
device, etc. – that is, something manufactured/made.

shape, form, appearance, configuration (n.)	tu'qom
poem (n.)					ghuQ
pane, panel, sheet (not for bed) (n.)		vol
jazz (music) (n.) (loanword from DIvI' Hol)	jeS / jeS QoQ
juggle (objects, not tasks) (v.)		jaDchu'
mosaic (n.)					majyang mIllogh
---end quote---

[note: Klingon words were written in bold face. I've added brackets for
format-free emails]

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh