[tlhIngan Hol] magic and magicians

kechpaja kechpaja at comcast.net
Fri Nov 25 08:00:02 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:16:05AM +0100, Lieven wrote:
> lIl is a verb meaning something like “simulate, impersonate.” The idea
> is one of doing something such that the subject of the verb looks or
> behaves like something (or someone) else or represents something (or
> someone) else. The word has no connotation of fraud or anything
> underhanded (in this respect, it’s like ghet).  The object is the thing
> being simulated or the person being impersonated.  lIlwI’ (“simulator,”
> for lack of a better term) is different from lIw (“substitute”) since
> lIw implies replacement (the notion of  “instead of”) while a lIlwI’
> doesn’t replace anyone or anything.

Can I infer from this that you would also use {lIl} to refer to dressing
as someone or something for e.g. Halloween, i.e. {targh vIlIl} "I'm
going as a targ"? Or would you need to say something like {targh jIH 'e'
vIghet}? What about an actor in a play?

Also, where is the boundary between {lIl} and {Da}?

-SapIr