[tlhIngan Hol] A question on {-chu'}

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:55:52 PST 2016

I'm happy to read your reply, because it expresses my own views on the
matter..

I noticed that you translated the {mIghchu' Dujvam} as "this ship is
totally evil". And while I was writing the original post, this is exactly
what I had in mind.

All the other sentences, express a magnitude of sorts.. It is as if they
answer to the question "how much evil is this ship" ? So, they say
something like "a lot of evil" "excessively evil" and so on..

But the {mIghchu' Dujvam}, doesn't express a quantity. It says "this ship
is perfectly evil"; the way I *feel* the "perfectly" is that it is "purely
evil". "evil to the core". not 80, 90, 98 percent. no. it is "evil
incarnate".

Now, why is this important ?

I read somewhere at the klingon wiki, that perhaps by the use of a
construction such as {tlhoy mIghqu' Dujvam} we could form a superlative of
sorts (if that's the correct term).

but I think that by the use of the {-chu'} we could achieve the same. Of
course a lot has to do with context and obviously the {-chu'} and the
{tlhoy ...qu' noun} aren't interchangeable, but I think that the {-chu'} is
a wonderful addition to our linguistic options.

DaH, jIQong !

qunnoH
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'