[tlhIngan Hol] the {nargh} the other {nargh} and the {-vo'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Nov 21 12:02:25 PST 2016

On 11/21/2016 1:34 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> SuStel:
>> >You can either say ghe''orvo' jInarghpu' I escaped
>> >from Grethor or ghe''or vInarghpu' I escaped Grethor.
> hmm.. now I started to wonder.. walk with me..
>
> bIQ'a' HeHDaq jIjaH
> the "going" takes place at the shore
>
> bIQ'a' HeH vIjaH
> I am going to the shore
>
> bIQ'a' HeHDaq vIjaH
> I am going to the shore
> (same as above, with the {-Daq} being unnecessary but not wrong)
>
> if the above are correct, and the {nargh} "to escape" is to be treated
> as a verb of movement, then why not: {ghe''orvo' vInarghpu'} ?

I don't think *nargh* is a verb of movement. But even if it were, notice
the difference between *-Daq* and *-vo'*:

*-Daq* has two senses: /going//to/ a place or /being//at/ a place.
*-vo'* has only one sense: /going from/ a place. It doesn't seem to have
a corresponding meaning of /being away from/ a place.

When you say *vaS'a'Daq jIjaH,* the special rules of verbs of motion
mean you're forced to pick just one of the usual *-Daq* meanings: /being
at/ a place. This makes it mean something like, /at the Great Hall, I
go./ But *jaH* can also take an object that represents the destination.
*vaS'a' vIjaH* /I go to the Great Hall./ The/to/ meaning is inherent to
the verb. So adding *-Daq* to that noun doesn't change the inherent /to/
of the verb, forcing you into the meaning of /to /a place.

The reason you can add *-Daq* to the object of such words, even though
that doesn't seem to happen with other words, is that the /to/ is
already built in. You're just making explicit what comes inherently with
the verb.

But *-vo'* does not seem to be inherent in verbs of motion, at least not
as Okrand presented them. When he was describing the verb *leng,* he
gave us *yuQ vIlegh* and *yuQDaq vIlegh* /I travel to the
planet,/*yuQvo' jIleng*/I roam away from the planet,/ and *yuQDaq
jIleng*/I roam around/about the planet./ He conspicuously doesn't give
us **yuQvo' vIleng.* His example *yuQvo' jIleng* apparently doesn't mean
/I roam in a place away from the planet./