[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DI'ruj velqa' nIqHom

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sat Nov 19 09:10:20 PST 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Anthony Appleyard <
a.appleyard at btinternet.com> wrote:

> My Klingon-to-English analyzer KLITRANS program which I wrote for myself,
> when shown DI'ruj velqa' nIqHom, says:
>
> DI'ruj may mean:-
> # PP:we/them <'ruj>
> # VS9:[as_soon_as|when] <ruj>
> # N:[litter|rubble|debris]* <'ruj>
> [...]
> nIqHom may mean:-
> - N:software
>
> Please: Is my KLITRANS at fault here? Or is DI'ruj a typo? Or what?

Where does KLITRANS get its vocabulary list? It recognizes {nIqHom}
"software", which was introduced to us in the same {DI'ruj velqa' nIqHom}
phrase from which we learned {DI'ruj} "reality", so it can't just be a
simple matter of being out of date.

To verify the spelling of a Klingon word that isn't in TKD or KGT,
http://www.kli.org/about-klingon/new-klingon-words/ is a good place to look.

If KLITRANS is prepared to suggest <'ruj> as a syllable, or accept a Type 9
verb suffix at the beginning of a word, then I have to consider it faulty,
even before worrying about the completeness of its lexicon. I also have to
wonder why it doesn't propose analyzing {nIqHom} as an unknown <nIq> with
the Type 1 noun suffix {-Hom}.

-- ghunchu'wI'