[tlhIngan Hol] Dop Hurgh lo'laHghach

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 8 08:19:56 PST 2016

On 11/8/2016 11:06 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> ok, thanks; however another question came to mind:
>
> I understand why the {Dochmey mI'} is wrong/inappropriate for the
> intented meaning. But what if I wrote {Dochmey HochHom} for "almost
> all of the things" ? In this example, is the {HochHom} the head noun
> too ?

Yes. Technically, if I said *Dochmey HochHom vISay'moHta'*/I cleaned
most of the things,/ I'm saying I cleaned "a majority." A majority of
what? Things. It's a "thing-majority," which is a kind of majority, not
a kind of thing.

It gets confusing because in English we say "most of the things,"
wherein /most/ is not a noun. But Klingon expresses this in a noun-noun
construction, so the grammar is different. The Klingon kind of looks
like *HochHom* is acting like an adjectival verb, but it's not.