[tlhIngan Hol] A thought on the irrealis construction

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 04:33:15 PST 2016

I agree this might happen in more progressive dialects or future varieties
of Klingon. Hypothetically speaking, of course. Someday we might have forms
like {jIQongneHbe'} - and I agree that it would perhaps be slot #2.
In some natural languages it happened the same way: In Burmese the former
verb <khyang> 'to wish, to desire' has become a grammatical verb suffix
/-ʨʰin/ (pronounced [ʨʰɪ̃]) which just means 'want' and is sometimes just
called "desiderative marker".
Maybe also the suffix {-nIS} used to be a verb with the meaning 'must' in
the past? We have no evidence for that. I wonder if some has already
written a HolQeD article in the olden days.

Of course this is all in-universe speculation about the language history of
Klingon. But I find it very interesting too.

- André