[tlhIngan Hol] Why can't I say..

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 04:17:26 PST 2016

A "time stamp" only marks a point in time, you can use words meaning
"today", "on Monday", "in 2 years", etc. But in {DIS law'} you are not
talking about a reference point in time, but about a long duration during
which you did something. So {qaStaHvIS ...} is the correct option.

Now you might argue that "in 2 years" and "(during) many years" both refer
to quite broad time spans and not necessarily to *points* in time, but for
"in 2 years" there is no duration specified, while "many years" explicitly
refers to a duration.

{ben law'} 'many years ago' would stand alone without a {qaStaHvIS} before
it.

- André