[tlhIngan Hol] A thought on the irrealis construction

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 23:37:26 PST 2016

mIp'av:
> {net jalchugh} bop'a' mu'meylIj Qav? 'angpu'chugh matlh, vaj jIjIv.

Yes, they do. The {net jalchugh}, was revealed by maltz. See earlier
in the thread the message from lieven, but in case you missed it, here
it is again:

------- lieven message beginning -------

I wanted to wait until after the qepHom, but as you mentioned this
topic, here is what Maltz has revealed to us just now:

------begin------
For a statement that's counterfactual (or "irrealis"), a phrase with
the verb jal ("imagine, envision") is used: ... net jalchugh ("if one
imagines that…", "if it is imagined that…"). For example:

tlhIngan SoH net jalchugh, qagh DatIv
This is "If you were a Klingon, you would enjoy gagh" or, literally,
"If one imagines that you are a Klingon, you would enjoy gagh."

The implication is that you are not a Klingon. Compare:

qaghwIj DaSopchugh, qaHoH
"If you eat my gagh, I'll kill you."
qaghwIj DaSop net jalchugh, qaHoH

"If you were eating my gagh, I would kill you"
(literally: "If one imagines that you are eating my gagh…").

------- lieven message end -------

qunnoH jan puqloD