[tlhIngan Hol] Anyone wan to help design a Klingon ruler?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Nov 2 13:32:19 PDT 2016

Sounds like fun! Won't be able to join the team myself, however.

> From here<http://daily-klingon.tumblr.com/post/132822212317/units-of-measurement> we find the Klingon unit of length 'uj' is 34.83cm (derived from BoP poster).

> Can anyone confirm this?

Yup, 34,83 cm seems about right. I did an investigation previously on this list and reached the same conclusion:

http://stodi.lojban.org/~clsn/webarchives/2012/March/msg00130.html

> We understand the Klingon number system was originally ternary, but was decimalized to

> facilitate communication with other civilizations. Might we report units of 'uj' as 0.1 uj, 0.2 uj, etc?

Sadly, we know very little of units of length smaller than one 'uj, but yes, there is confirmation of those measurements being expressed using decimals. In the link above, you'll find examples such as

wejvatlh loSmaH loS vI' vagh wej 'ujmey (344,53 'ujmey)

> Should a Klingon ruler double as a weapon?

Depends on the end-user, I suppose, but I personally would advise against it; rulers are rulers and weapons are weapons.