[tlhIngan Hol] matlh juppu' mu'mey, from HolQeD 8-3, pages 2-4

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 02:22:33 PDT 2016

SuStel :
> My best guess is that the placement of adverbials is different for neH than for 'e'.

This is an interesting theory indeed.

Lawrence M. Schoen
> A clearer translation than that found in PK might be:
> [I'd like to maybe buy something from you.]

I agree ; this was my original translation too, as soon as I read the
original klingon sentence. And I believe this could be the reason that
the klingon merchant was pissed.

The sentence "maybe I want to buy something", focuses its meaning on
the "I want". But the sentence "I want to maybe buy something focuses
on the "buy" and *feels*, as if the terran actually wants to be
uncertain. And I think that the latter, is what insults the klingon
merchant, who perceives the terran as playing with his nerves.

Maybe 'oqranD deliberately wrote the sentence this way, to demonstrate
that misplacing an adverb on Qo'noS could have serious consequences.

meqvammo' Qo'noSDaq vIghoSQo' ! pa', qaStaHvIS rep wa'DIch, - jIbej - muHoH !
because of this reason, I would never go to kronos ! they would have
killed me there, within the hour !

Ca'non master :
> FWIW here’s my transcript of the untranslated shopping scene

nuq FWIW ?

mop Hurgh