[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yoHwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 15 06:41:38 PDT 2016

mayqel qunenoS:
>> wo'rIv, troy's loHmeH nIm porgh 'ay'Daq tISuSHa', 'ej borgvaD
>> bIjatlhbe'. tlhIngan veQ SoH..

De'vID:
> Commenting on just the grammar rather than the content of what you wrote:
> * {loH} does not mean "administer" in the sense of "deliver a substance",

That would probably be {Qay} "transfer".

Okrand coined the medical term {Hergh QaywI'} "pneumatic hypo, hypospray (medical device)" seen in many episodes of Trek.  Klingons use them too:  Visiting exobiologist J'Dan kept a Klingon "hyposyringe" in his quarters, used to treat his Ba'ltmasor Syndrome with weekly injections (TNG "The Drumbeat"; seen in close-up).

> but rather "govern"

loH  		administer (v)
loH  		administration (n)
loHwI'  	magistrate (lit. administrator") (n)

  loHwI' vISuch 'e' vIpoQ!
  I demand to see the magistrate! (ENT "Affliction")

Archer's trial on Narendra III(?) for conspiring against the Klingon Empire and fomenting revolt was presided over by a magistrate. (ENT "Judgment")

In 2254 the Keeper on Talos IV was addressed as "Magistrate" by the other Talosians. (TOS "The Cage/The Menagerie", Pt. II)

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'