[tlhIngan Hol] When you're stuck at a word

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 04:08:43 PDT 2016

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 10:10 mayqel qunenoS, <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> ghunchu'wI':
> > Is the {-vaD} supposed
> > to be marking the target of the spike (I'd expect {-Daq}
>
> I thought of using {-Daq}, but I didn't, since I remembered that
> {-Daq} is to be used only for physical locations. On the other hand
> "the ribs" are a physical location but since they are used
> metaphorically, I decided eventually to go with {-vaD}.

But they denote a physical location within the metaphor.

{bIQ'a'Daq 'oHtaH 'etlh'e'} - the metaphorical sword is in the metaphorical
ocean

{may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'} - when a warrior goes to either a
physical or a metaphorical battle, he doesn't abandon his/her friends

The fact that you're speaking metaphorically about a thorn in ribs doesn't
change the fact that you're speaking about a thorn located in ribs.

--
De'vID