[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghel

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:30:41 PDT 2016

> lutlhob <naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?>
> They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?" PK

Apparently, this sentence and subsequent translation, must come way
before the details which concern the use of verbs of movement were
clarified.

One would expect {wIjaHlaH} instead of {majaHlaH}, in order to specify
"the direction of movement vs where the movement is taking place".

Of course, someone could argue, that since the sentence says "from
here TO the great hall", then the direction is specified.

But the counter-argument could come too, "if we use the {ma-}, then
this could mean : we are walking along the road which goes from here
to the great hall, without actually us wanting to go there".

Anyway, I prefer the use of {wI-}, in cases such as these, because :

a. it is not wrong
b. if one is to err, then it is better to earn on the safe side.

And a side note to this :

It is one thing to say that klingon does not tolerate redundancy, so
we should omit useless words, prefixes or suffixes ;

However it is quite another, to assume that the reader is clairvoyant
or possesses supernatural abilities, thus waiting from him to already
know what's on one's mind.

qunnoq