[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yoHwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 13 07:27:01 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, June 13, 2016
>
> Klingon word: yoHwI'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: the brave

  reH Hegh yoHwI'pu''e'
  Always it is the brave ones who die. TKW

"Always it is the brave ones who die. The soldiers." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

yoH  			be brave (v)

  jIyoH
  I am brave. KLS

  wej tlhInganpu' yoH
  three brave Klingons CK

  logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'
  Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle.
   (ST5 notes [line replaced])

  QaghmeylIj tIchID, yIyoH
  Have the courage to admit your mistakes. TKW

  yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI' Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw
  The blood of battle washes clean the warrior brave
   and true. (Anthem)

  tlhIngan yoH law' verengan yoH puS
  The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi. (KGT 178f)

  'Iw bIQtIqvo' toS SuvwI' yoH puH QaDDaq paw
  The fearless warrior climbs out of the blood onto
   dry land. PB

(KGT 166f.):  To say {SuvwI' yoH law' ngIb yoH puS} ("The warrior is braver than an ankle") is far from complimentary.

(KGT 165):  Nonslang equivalents for {Sub} are {yoH} (be brave) and {jaq} (be bold), which can be used pretty much interchangeably.

SEE ALSO:
Sub 			be brave/heroic/bold/valiant/intrepid (slang) (v)
quv 			be honorable (v)
matlh 		be loyal (v)

toDuj 		courage, bravery, mettle (n)
qajunpaQ 		courage, audacity (n)

TREK TRIVIA:
"You speak of courage. Does courage mean so liittle to you?" (Kirk, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

"You speak of courage. Obviously you do not know the difference between courage and foolhardiness." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

"The Borg have neither honor nor courage. That is our greatest advantage." (Worf, TNG "The Best of Both Worlds, Pt. I")

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'