[tlhIngan Hol] When you're stuck at a word

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 08:58:52 PDT 2016

Regardless whether you're translating your thoughts in klingon, or any
kind of text, sooner or later you'll find yourself stuck at a word,
you just can't find a way to express. When that happens, usually two
things do the trick :

1. Take a break, close your eyes and try to *feel* that word. Almost
always, when you *feel* that word, a way will appear in order to put
it in klingon too. It took me a long time, to realize that "we express
meanings in klingon" ; we don't just convert other languages' words in
klingon words.

2. Find a thesaurus page on google, and search on that site for synonyms.

3. Most important : Even if klingon has a word, which translates
exactly your foreign word into it, ask yourself : Even if you do use
that word, is the outcome just as cool in klingon as it is in your
mind's original sentence ?

A while ago, I wanted to find a way to express in klingon : "you're
the thorn at Light's side" ; of course, there is no klingon word for
"thorn'. So, following steps 1 and 2, I found the solution :
{wovlI'ghach joQmeyvaD wIl SoHtaH}. And it passes the test of the
third point too..

mop Hurgh qunnoq