[tlhIngan Hol] 'ul law' (WAS: Klingon Word of the Day: tlhuD)

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 07:22:08 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

>   chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH
>   Painstiks ... emit a highly-charged shock for the
>    express purpose of inflicting pain. S32

I just want to say that I like this canon example. I never would have
thought of using {'ul law'} for "highly-charged shock".

Which raises a question: does {law'} make {'ul} plural? In other words,
does a Klingon interpret this phrase and "many electricities"? Or can
{law'} be used with non-count nouns to mean something like "much" or "a
large amount of"?

I once argued in HolQeD that all Klingon nouns can be used as count nouns,
and the phrase {'ul law'} seems to fit that hypothesis.

bI'reng