[tlhIngan-Hol] [Tlhingan-hol] Klingons and cockroaches

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 1 09:12:51 PDT 2016

mayqel qunenoS :
> but let me ask one more thing, in order to see whether I actually
> understood the {-neS}.
> someone tell me, if all these possible translations are correct, for the
> sentence which I wrote :
>
> {targhwIj yIHoHneS} may translate as :
>
> do me the honor of killing my dog
> kill my dog your honor
> kill my dog your highness
> etc..
>
> right ?

All correct.  The point isn't the precise title or phrase which Okrand added to the translations - i.e. do me the honor, your highness, your majesty, your Magnificence, etc. - but the feel of the deference (dare I say, obsequiousness?) when addressing one of higher rank; probably, significantly higher rank.  (I wouldn't expect an army private to use {-neS} to his corporal or a waiter/waitress to a customer, for example.)

Interestingly, none of Okrand's examples use {-neS} together with an actual rank or title (e.g. {joHwI'} "my lord/lady", {ta'wI'} "my emperor", {HoD} "captain", or even {qaH} "sir/ma'am" for that matter.  I suspect that would be felt as over-doing it or even sarcasm - which could have, as Okrand likes to put it, "unfortunate consequences".

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'