[tlhIngan Hol] Disturbing irregularities

MorphemeAddict lytlesw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 12:05:38 PDT 2016

The way I see it, to translate "I am John" you have to have three elements:
I, John, and something that connects them. John is a noun. I is a
verb/noun. jIH is the only way to translate "I" without a separate verb, so
it is the subject AND verb, leaving "John" only one place to be: before
jIH: John jIH. We already have {tlhIngan jIH, tlhIngan maH}, and this is no
different.

There's a logical distinction here, too, that English rarely makes outside
of "Alice in Wonderland", namely that a person isn't his name. Lojban
requires this distinction, but elsewhere it's rare. So saying "I am [name]"
([pong] jIH) is kind of odd, even if it's the normal way of saying what
one's name is.

lay'tel SIvten