[tlhIngan Hol] Disturbing irregularities

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 03:45:50 PDT 2016

De'vID :
> Question words (in this case, nuq "what?") function the same way
> pronouns do in questions with "to be" in the English translations.

This means that the {'Iv} and {nuq} don't mean just "who" or "what",
but their actual meaning is "who is" and "what is" ?

De'vID :
> Thus, the question yIH nuq? "What is a tribble?" is exactly parallel
> the statement yIH 'oH "It is a tribble" (where yIH is "tribble" and
> 'oH is "it"). The answer to the question yIH nuq? ("What is a
> tribble?") would presumably be a definition or description of a
> tribble.]

1. I can't understand this sentence : "Thus, the question yIH nuq?
"What is a tribble?" is exactly parallel the statement yIH 'oH "It is
a tribble".

2. {yIH nuq} and {nuq yIH} are the same, and they mean "what is a
tribble" right ?

3. How do I ask "who is a/the tribble?"

De'vID :
> {'Iv ghaH} - the expected answer to this is a sentence of the form {X ghaH},
> e.g., {Duy ghaH}. {ghaH 'Iv} - the expected answer to this is a definition or
> description of "him". {Duy ghaH} is an acceptable answer, but you
> might also answer {qepvammo' DIvI'vaD SutlhmeH naDev ngeHpu' DIvI'} or
> something that describes the person.

1. So, {'Iv ghaH} and {ghaH 'Iv} are the same, and they mean "what is
he" ? But then why don't we use {nuq} ?

2. If I want to ask "who is he", do I use {'Iv ghaH}, {ghaH 'Iv}, or
can I use both ?

This is by far the single most confusing part of klingon I have
encountered, from the first day I started studying it.