[tlhIngan Hol] Disturbing irregularities

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 02:56:42 PDT 2016

On 22 June 2016 at 17:42, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, as I understand this to be, these are the rules :

While they correctly describe what's going on, they are not "the"
rules (in the sense that they are the rules given in TKD and
subsequent writings by Okrand).

You're inventing a different way to describe the output of rules we
already have.

These are "the rules":
1. {'Iv} and {nuq} can take the place of the answer in a question
sentence. (TKD 6.4)
2. {'Iv} and {nuq} can act like pronouns. (msn newsgroup message
1996-12-12: http://klingonska.org/canon/1996-12-12b-news.txt)
3. Clipped Klingon: some elements of a sentence may be left out in
some situations.

Regarding #3, based on canon, when the sentence is {nuq[Daq] 'oH
X'e'}, clipped Klingon allows {nuq[Daq] X}. I'm not sure if this can
be generalised to {'Iv}, but it seems reasonable and I would accept
it.

--
De'vID