[tlhIngan Hol] Disturbing irregularities

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 00:50:23 PDT 2016

Recently, I assimilated 'oqranD "message to kronos" transcript, as
this is found in klingonska.

While I was processing it, the following irregularities came up :

1.  {tera'vo' SarI'} "I hail you from Earth".

The way I understand {-vo'}, it is used to denote "movement taking
place away from somewhere". However, in this sentence, the meaning is
rather "I'm at earth, and from here I'm communicating". Perhaps, one
could say that "the thing moving away from earth is the message". But
in that case, I would be expecting to see "from earth I'm sending this
message". Not "from earth I hail you".

2. {'u' 'oH ghe'naQ pong}
    {yuQmajDaq may' ghe'naQ wa'DIch wIQoybogh 'oH 'u'}

Obvious {-'e'} omission, on the last word of both sentences

3. {Marc Okrand jIH} "I am Marc Okrand"

This sentence made my console light up like a christmas tree. We know
that in order to ask "who are you", we use {SoH 'Iv} ; which means
that the name comes after the pronoun. {SoH mayqel} = "you are
michael". In this sense, in order to say "I am mayqel", the sentence
should be formed {jIH mayqel}.

Returning to the original sentence, {Marc Okrand jIH}, the way I
understand it, it means "I am a Marc Okrand" ; not "I am Marc Okrand".

Because irregularities like the aforementioned ones confuse me, I
chose to delete the "message from kronos", from my data banks.

mop Hurgh qunnoq