[tlhIngan Hol] 'op Human be'..

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 05:54:28 PDT 2016

On 16 June 2016 at 16:50, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> naDev vIpawta'DI', 'oH ghelmeH mu'tlhegh wa'DIchwIj'e' : darthvaD mu'
> tu'lu'a' ?
> as soon as I arrived here, my first question was : is there a word for darth ?
>
> 'a SIbI' - (QIn ngeHmeH Daq'e' ghajbogh ghaH neH) lo'taHvIS, jIHvaD
> jatlhlu'ta':
> but immediately, someone contacted me off list and said :
>
> mu'mey chu'vaD yIghelbe' ! mu'mey chu'vaD bIgheltaHchugh, vaj pIlajQo'.
> don't ask for new words ! if you continue asking you will be banned.
>
> 'ej mawchu'meH mu'mey lo'ta'.
> and the way he said this was quite rude.

quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh.

As qurgh says, no one other than him should be enforcing mailing list
policy off-list, much less threatening to ban anyone.

> reH, naDev pawta'DI' vay' 'ej mu'meyDaj qab law' mu'mey'wIj qab puS,
> bep pagh ! pagh'e' !
> always, whenever here some new guy arrived, whose requests were way
> more absurd than mine, noone complained ! noone !
>
> wa'logh jatlhta' vay' : vatlh law' mu' ghajDI' tlhIngan Hol, ngugh
> vIghajqang ! qaSpa' ghu'vam vIghojQo !
> someone once wrote : only when klingon possesses several thousands
> words, I will be willing to learn it. not before !
>
> 'ej ngugh chay' Suvang ? Subep'a' ? ghobe' ! ghaHvaD jeghta' Hochmey
> po'wI'pu' !
> and then what did you do ? did you complain ? of course not ! all
> senior members surrendered.

bIlughbe'law'. ghaHmo' beppu' je nuvpu'. vabDot ghaH tIch je latlh.
wanI' DaqawHa'.

> tlhIngan Hol ghojqangQo'bogh vay'vaD, Sujeghta'..
> for someone who didn't want to learn klingon you surrendered..

I don't see any evidence that he was treated any differently than you.

Some of us who are inclined to be helpful to beginners no matter how
silly their questions are tried to help. Some others who are inclined
to be more insulting to people who make unreasonable demands insulted
and mocked him. I think your memory is selective.

> mu'meyDaj vIjatlhta'DI', qaSpu'pa' wa' lup neH, tuHIvbej.
> if I had spoken his words, you would have attacked me in an instant.

I replied to him with a question: {tlhIngan Hol Dalo'be'chugh, qatlh
ghurbogh mu'tay' DaSaH?}

ghunchu'wI' wrote: "you should demonstrate an ability to use the known
vocabulary before suggesting that you need more words".

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh wrote a dismissive parable about a random
passerby giving unsolicited advice.

The thread is called "19 new words to create" for anyone interested in
what else was said.

I don't see anyone "surrendering" to him, nor do I imagine any of the
respondents would have said anything differently to you if you had
made the same request for new vocabulary. As a long-time member of
this list, I can say that the reactions were fairly typical.

QISta'
> Actually, if you're thinking of the same "new guy" I'm thinking of, most of his
> messages went to my spam folder, so that might have happened to some
> others too, and then they wouldn't have seen his messages, to be able to
> attack them.

lugh QISta'. That person's original email triggered the usual spam
traps, so it wasn't seen by everyone.

--
De'vID