[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghel

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jun 17 09:59:01 PDT 2016

On 6/17/2016 12:20 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> {qaStaHvIS jar bIr, jIHvaD pagh qay'wI' tu'lu'. 'a qaSchoHtaHvISDI'
> jar tuj, ghe''or rur yaHwIj}.
>
> My intended meaning was "while the cold months were happening, for me
> there was no problem, but while the hot months begun to happen my
> office resembled hell".

Ouch! You've got two type 9 suffixes on that second *qaS,* and most of
those suffixes aren't necessary anyway.

Does your office resemble Hell only when the hot months /start/ to
happen? Does it resemble Hell /at the time/ the hot months happen? No,
it resembles Hell /while/ the hot months happen. Use only *qaStaHvIS.*

You can also improve the bit with *qay'* like so: *qaStaHvIS jarmey bIr
jIHvaD qay'be'*/during the cold months, they [the cold months] were not
a problem for me./ Without an indication to the contrary, it is most
natural to assume the subject of the first clause is also the elided
subject of the second clause.