[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghel

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 09:20:06 PDT 2016

SuStel :
> As a matter of fact, Klingon does tolerate redundancy, more than English in some
> cases. However, the immortal advice of William Strunk still applies: omit needless words.

True ! I believe the goal must be for someone to strike this perfect
balance : Get 100% the intended meaning through, but by using the
fewer words necessary.

However, consider the following example :

few minutes ago, I wrote on another post (which I don't know if it
went through to the list), this sentence :

{qaStaHvIS jar bIr, jIHvaD pagh qay'wI' tu'lu'. 'a qaSchoHtaHvISDI'
jar tuj, ghe''or rur yaHwIj}.

My intended meaning was "while the cold months were happening, for me
there was no problem, but while the hot months begun to happen my
office resembled hell".

Now, because we usually omit the {-mey}, (unless we need to use
{Hoch}), while I was writing I chose to omit it too..

I said to myself "yeah, who cares ? flush {-mey} down the toilet, who
needs it anyway.."

But in the intended meaning, the difference was huge ; since klingon
doesn't possess words for the individual seasons, I should have added
the {-mey}, in order to express that "I'm referring to a group of hot
months ---> i.e. summer".

I made the mistake, to believe that the reader would "already be in my
mind knowing what I want to express", thus being able to distinguish
the difference between "month" and "months".

And that was wrong..

'op pIq, chay' povchu'ghach vIchavlaH, jIyepHa'taHchugh ?
how will I be able to attain excellence, if I continue being careless ?

mIv Hurgh qunnoq