[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yejHaD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 13 06:38:09 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, June 12, 2016
>
> Klingon word: yejHaD
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: institute, institution - larger than yej'an

(HQ 4.4:11):  The most general word for school (a place for learning) is {DuSaQ}. A specialized school, perhaps translatable as "academy", is {'ampaS}. An organization dedicated to scholastic pursuits or research is a {yejHaD} "institute" or "institution" or a {yej'an} "society". The distinction between {yejHaD} and {yej'an} is not clear, though the former is usually--but not always--used for larger organizations. It is not known whether the first syllable of these words ({yej}) is {yej} "council, assembly", but there could be some historic connection.

When Lawrence Schoen told Marc Okrand of some people's quibbles regarding the legitimacy of {yejHaD}, "he laughed and suggested that surely the KLI is a very ancient and venerable institution, whose name goes back to an earlier dialect!" (LMS)

tlhIngan Hol yejHaD 		Klingon Language Institute

  tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Datoy'mo' pInaD
  Because you serve the Klingon Language Institute, we commend you. FMC

*DaH Hol yejHaD 			Modern Language Association (KLI website)

SEE ALSO:
HaD 			study (v)
Qul 			study (v)
ghoj 			learn (v)