[tlhIngan-Hol] A question on {ngIq}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 06:44:24 PDT 2016

On 6 June 2016 at 19:14, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
> This is my opinion on {ngIq} (so it may be wrong). To me it represents each
> single item within a collection of items, with the noun coming after it
> describing what is in the collection.
>
> {ngIq naH} - "Each fruit (in a collection of fruit)"
> {ngIq naH vIlarghpu' 'ej ghIq naH vIparHa'bogh vISoppu'} - "I sniffed each
> fruit, and then I ate the fruit I liked"

The implication is that you sniffed each one individually, apart from
the others.

> {ngIq nuH} - "A single weapon (from a collection of weapons)"
> {Hoch jaghpu'lI' HoHmeH ngIq nuH lo'} - "In order to kill all his enemies,
> he used each weapon"

This suggests he used each weapon in turn, as opposed to using each of
the weapons, perhaps together or in combination.

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:04 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej tIqDu' lel
>> > ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej quvqa'
>> > ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej rIn may'
>> > In one single move, he removed the hearts,
>> > In one single move, he restored his honor,
>> > In one single move, the battle was done.
>>
>> Here I understand the "one single move" translation, over the "one by
>> one", because the latter makes no sense.
>>

> I see {tonSaw'} as a collection of moves, so Kahless is using each single
> move to do the actions.

I believe {tonSaw'} is a single move, either in a game or a fight. To
me, the above reads unambiguously that the multiple sentences are
referring to the same one move, i.e., in one action, Kahless
simultaneously removed Molor's hearts, restored his honour, and
finished the battle.

Does anyone read this as three separate moves?

>> If I wanted to write :
>>
>> "We destroyed his birds of prey one by one", then what should I write ?
>>
>> ngIq toQDujmeyDaj DIQaw'ta' ?
>> or
>> ngIq toQDujmeyDaj wIQaw'ta' ?
>>
>> or maybe something else ?
>

> Are there multiple ships that were destroyed, one at time? Then I'd go with:
>
> ngIq toQDujmeyDaj DIQaw'ta' - We destroyed each of his birds of prey (one at
> a time, not all together).

I think this violates grammatical agreement. {ngIq} is like {wa'}: the
thing it's referring to is singular.

--
De'vID