[tlhIngan-Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: He'So'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 7 07:23:54 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, June 07, 2016
>
> Klingon word: He'So'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: stink

(KGT 86):  The verb meaning smell--that is, sense odors-is {largh}. The word for emit a smell is {He'}. This does not necessarily imply a bad smell. Odors are not considered "good" or "bad"; they are just odors. There may be a subjective evaluation of the source of the odor, however. It is a compliment to suggest that someone smells like *rokeg* blood pie not because the smell itself is good, but rather because the food carries with it positive associations. On the other hand, it is most insulting to say that someone smells like rotting *forshak*.

SEE ALSO:
He' 			smell, emit odor (v)
largh			smell,  sense odors (v)
ngIm 			be putrid (v)

pIw			odor (n)
noSvagh		deodorant (n)

Cf. also *taknar* {taqnar}: "An animal ... the droppings of which are particularly foul smelling." (Keith R.A. DeCandido, _Klingon Empire: A Burning House_ [novel])

TREK TRIVIA:
"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad." (Spock to Android Norman, TOS "I, Mudd")

"I just wish we could cloak the stench!" (McCoy, commenting on the captured Klingon Bird-of-Prey "Bounty" [ST4])

B'Ellana burned some Klingon incense in her quarters; Janeway comments, "Interesting fragrance. I'm surprised it hasn't set off the environmental alarms." (VOY "Nothing Human")

"That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." (Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, quoted in TOS "By Any Other Name")

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'